School is finally out for the summer – and for a lot of kids, all that extra time is going towards phones, computers, and video games. While your kids should embrace the activities they enjoy, there are also known benefits to reducing your time with your electronics:
- Better sleep
- Improved school performance
- Prevention of weight gain
- Increased energy
- Better behavior
As summer vacation continues, consider some of the following strategies for minimizing your child’s time with the screen:
- Set a curfew – At a particular time – preferably a couple hours before bed – all electronics should go off.
- Keep the TV out of your youngster’s room – By leaving the TVs in the common areas, your child will have a better chance of getting a good night’s rest.
- Make other options easily available – Keep a collection of books, board games, or whatever else you have in a visible area of your home.
And finally, you’ll want to find some activities to enjoy with your child that don’t include TVs or phones:
- Reading together
- Visiting neighbors or family
- Going to the park
- Swimming at the pool, lake, or beach
- Playing board games or cards
- Doing arts and crafts
Television and video games are often relaxing and fun, but your kids’ down time should also leave room for a variety of other health-promoting activities. This summer, you can use these tips and ideas to help your kids make the most of their vacation.